Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Korean Autumn 2013: Day 6 - 회식...not really

Well, I wouldn't call the dinner I had with my co-workers a full on 회식 but it's as close as we could come to one. We all gathered in the hotel lobby to walk to a traditional Korean restaurant just a block from the hotel. I know there is probably an official Korean name for the type of meal we ate but it escapes me. Basically it was a bunch of different courses of Korean food, along with beer and soju.

We had a private room upstairs where we all removed our shoes and sat at a long banquet table. I thought that we'd be sitting on the floor initially since we took off our shoes but...I was wrong. I waited to be told where to sit as this seems to be the norm when dining with Koreans, especially people you work with. I was probably the lowest man on the totem pole so I waited off to the side. Eventually we all found an appropriate place to sit down and prepared to eat.

We had a ton of courses, this included salads, different types of kimchi, soup, various meats, and rice. A few speeches and drinks were shared...it was overall a very pleasant evening.

Also at this establishment was an area where you could try on classic king or queen clothing from back-in-the-day and take your picture on a fancy looking chair/throne. A few of us partook in this activity, complete with headgear. I won't embarrass myself or my co-workers by posting pictures :)

~

No comments:

Post a Comment