Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My Korean Autumn 2013: Day 5 - Getting to know you

After a long day at show site I had arranged to have dinner with two of my former teaching assistants from the Korean Immersion program I attended this past summer. We decided to meet by campus for some BBQ and drinks. 

After a 30 minute subway ride, I was back to my old stomping ground. Exiting the station it seemed a lot of Korean students were out and about with friends. Most were sporting their class jackets, unique to each major. This concept is similar to letter jackets athletes wear in the USA except these have the year you started school and a special design depending on your major. I was told that the jackets are designed by a senior class for the new incoming freshmen.

Anyway, we eventually met up and went to a 갈매기살 restaurant which I think is skirt meat from a pig (not seagull as it translates to). We got the regular kind and a spicy kind; both were excellent. I had actually been to the same restaurant in another part of town. They also pour some scrambled egg around a little well at the edge of the grill which cooks up as you BBQ. After dinner my TAs gave me a choice of drinks or coffee...I chose drinks...my excuse was that I was still jet lagged and needed to sleep ^^

We found a small cafe/restaurant/drinking establishment and ordered some beer and what I think was plum wine. I was not a fan of the plum wine as it reminded me of cough syrup...but the beer was great :) We talked and caught up on things for a while longer and decided to call it a night after a few hours due to one of them having class the next morning and me having to get up early for work.

I really enjoyed talking with my former TAs as we didn't get that much time to sit and get to know each other during the summer. The TAs did act as chaperones for our field trips & excursions; and were often running around campus helping teachers...but I personally didn't get many chances just to hang out with them. I hope to keep in touch with them and also hope to see them in the future soon!

~

No comments:

Post a Comment