Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My Korean Autumn 2013: Day 2 - See you soon?

It is Sunday evening and I have made some ad-hoc plans to see my friend who studies at a local university. During my trip I was south of the river, fairly close to the now famous Gang-nam area of town. My friend was coming from the opposite side so we picked a large mall in between us.

I got there early and decided to walk around and scout out some possible items to purchase later. In Seoul there are a few fairly large bookstore chains that not only sell books but stationary, writing utensils, office supplies, and a wide variety of different accessories. I browsed here for a bit and decided to pick up a leather shielded passport folio. With my frequent traveling, my passport has begun to get quite abused, so I justified the premium price :)

Anyway, I met my friend and we strolled around the mall for a bit and caught a glimpse of a T-ARA fan signing event in the main atrium. I don't really follow the group but there was definitely a large crowd gathered around to get a chance to get something signed by the idol group.

After many walks up and down the food court area, we decided on 부대찌개.



While I know a lot of Korean food is spicy by default, this dish didn't look all that spicy on the outset. I was wrong. The spiciness built with each bite. Noses were running and my mouth tingled at the end of the meal. Delicious, filling, but don't forget...spicy. The bowl you see above had tons of stuff in it...a lot of hot dog type meats and veggies plus we added ramen noodles for just a buck.

The evening continued at the coffee shop where I actually didn't have coffee but a smoothie, since I knew I should try and get some real sleep that night. This shop closed when the mall did so by 9:45PM they were making announcements that you don't have to go home but you couldn't stay there. The English version of the announcement was almost perfect...save for two words I think...

###

The goodbyes I tend to have with my friends abroad is a kind of "I'll see you when I see you". It's so great to see them when I can but also sad to not know when I'll see them again.

It is the bittersweet aspect of my travels I suppose. Knowing that every meeting must come to an end...and not knowing when the next one will occur.

~


No comments:

Post a Comment