Monday, July 8, 2013

My Korean Summer 2013: Day 1 & 2

[DAY 1]
Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! The jet lag started to hit pretty hard on my first real day in the motherland. I met up with two of my friends for lunch followed by coffee...which I never drink. I was dragging by early afternoon and was encouraged to down a cup of joe to fight the urge to fall asleep on the cafe table. My friends enjoyed espresso while I settled for an iced mocha...it was full of the sugar and caffeine I needed to carry me through to evening.

Later that day I met another friend who is local to Korea. It had almost been a year since seeing each other! We did many laps around Hongdae just taking in the sites, sounds, and smells. For a snack we got something amazingly cheap and delicious. I wish I had taken a picture :( It was a small waffle with different flavors of ice cream folded into a sandwich. The grand total was KRW 1,000 which is less than one USD. The heat and humidity was getting to us so we found a cafe and got some iced tea and much needed air conditioning


After our iced tea break we started searching for something to eat for dinner. I chose chicken and beer which is quite a popular combination here in Korea. The large amount of chicken tenders and homemade chips with beer was less than $20.



[DAY 2]
Jet lag didn't let me sleep much that night and neither did my nervousness of taking my placement test for my language program (or the neighbors that talked really loudly at midnight...and 4am...). I caught the bus and walked through the pouring rain to the building where my orientation and placement test was. Turns out I know a lot less Korean than I thought...or the Korean I know is too fragmented. I get the placement results later this evening. The age range of the program participants is quite large but most seem <30 years old. My lunch was from the convenience store and cost maybe $3 total for ramen, triangle kimbap, and a soda!

I will start my adventure in the Level 1...I'm not sure what area of level 1 (maybe the beginning beginning) but we'll see how the first day of class goes tomorrow!
~



No comments:

Post a Comment