Tuesday, January 19, 2016

My Korean Life #38: USA Holiday 2015

Originally, I had not planned to return to the USA over the holidays but, since I know once I gain full employment here in Korea vacation will be scarce, I decided to head back to the USA to see my family and friends.

I am thankful I still have quite a few frequent flyer miles from my business travel days so the actual monetary cost of the ticket was minimal. My dates were also somewhat flexible so that also helped out with the impact to my miles/dollars split. I was able to return to the USA for a full two weeks. My previous visit was just a week and I was jet lagged and busy with family functions the whole trip. This trip was very different - relaxing, not too many scheduled events, and less family functions.

When flying from Korea, My preferred route on United is the following (ICN - NRT - wherever after). This is because United still uses really old 747s with roof mounted screens in economy for routes like ICN - SFO. I much prefer the 777 out of Narita to wherever my next connection or destination is. Unfortunately to get to my hometown there is no direct flight from Seoul. My chosen itinerary had me traveling for over 24 hours.

If I were to summarize my trip in a few words it consisted of family and food. I enjoyed many foods that are either difficult to find in Korea or very expensive in Korea. I also spent some much needed quality time with my family. It had been over a year since I had visited my parents' house and seen my hometown.

I also got to see some friends that I grew up with. All are seemingly well on their way in their young adult lives. One of my friends now owns her own event/wedding business, one is a lawyer, another a nurse, another works in finance.

I have posted many of the pictures I took on another social media site but will repost them here for you!





Have yet to see Yuengling in Korea
Sandwich and chips at home









Sandwich and chips at home

Gluten-free pancakes, eggs, and bacon!
Homemade lasagna 




Cherry limeade fix




Bonus: My gift wrapping skills
In hindsight I should have taken more things back to the USA to store than I did. Don't worry parents, it wasn't going to take up that much of your precious storage space ;) I have a lot of old language school material and such that I could probably do without. Anyway, until next time! Stay warm!

~

No comments:

Post a Comment