Wednesday, March 16, 2011

France Ski Trip Day 4: Hitting the Slopes

I will admit, I have never been out west here in the USA to ski.  I have, however, been to the Alps multiple times, the Austrian and the French.  The Alps are beautiful, every time we stopped on the slope to take a break or snap some pictures I was blown away.  I shall let the pictures I post here speak for themselves.  If you ever get the opportunity to go, even in the summer, do it.  And now the skiing...

View from the slope outside our condo
Photo Credit: Me

Everyone here seems to know how to ski.  I'm sure they all started ski school as soon as they could fit into the boots.  Many times we observed a teacher with at least 10-15 students playing follow the leader on even some of the more difficult terrain.  I never saw anyone going straight down the mountain trying to race their friends.  For one, it was hard to find a route straight down, there were many natural bumps made by the skiers.  The snow is some places was also quite deep, especially in the off-piste areas.  With only a few marked trails, many took advantage of the off-piste open terrain, many times with untouched or lightly touched powder.

The runs were long...it took us a considerable amount of time to get down to the bottom of the valley once we took a gondola or lift to the top.  I never timed us as that was not really my concern the whole week.  I was more concerned with enjoying the enormous amount of skiable terrain here in France.  


After taking in a fantastic morning of 'shredding the pow', we return to our condo for some delicious homemade sandwiches.  See our culinary creations below!  This style of sandwich was the standard for lunch for the whole week.  Baguettes, some lunch meat, delicious cheese, and (if we remembered to buy it) fresh tomato.  While the bagging your own groceries trend is just starting to catch on in the USA, it's been the norm in Europe for forever.  They do have bags and sometimes boxes available but it seems no one really uses them.  In fact I think they will charge you for the plastic bags, and the boxes that are available are old produce/stock boxes left over.

Photo Credit: Me
The afternoon was also amazing and we cooked our own version of Tartiflette.  It was scrumptious, see the fruits of our (Jason's) labor below:

Cooking by J. Laxague
Photo Credit: Me 

Side Note: The pictures I post here are not necessarily the best ones I took during the trip.  This is because anyone could read this blog on the internet and therefore, anyone could copy and paste these photos on their website and claim they took them, which they didn't.  This might change if I ever get a copyright in place.
~

No comments:

Post a Comment