Monday, August 11, 2014

My Korean Life #12: You Are Here Cafe Opening Day

This past Saturday I went to the opening of the You Are Here Cafe. This is a joint venture between two (mainly) online companies, namely Eat Your Kimchi and Talk To Me In Korean. It is located near Hongdae Station on Line 2 in Seoul, Korea. The directions and specific address to the cafe can be found on the You Are Here social media pages. The closest exit is Exit 1 from Hongdae Station. 

My video gives you a decent overview of how the cafe looks and the chaos that was opening day. The line stretched for blocks early in the day and when I decided to wait in line it took me about 1.5 hours to get to the counter to order. If you were wondering, I got a lemonade. The beverage prices are reasonable and a lot of merchandise is also available.

The vast majority of patrons were not Korean but, this may change as time goes by. The huge crowd outside drew some spectators as well, namely Koreans thinking what the heck is going on. My Korean friend even messaged me after I sent them a picture and was like "WHAT THE HECK?" [they said the equivalent in Korean].

I hope the atmosphere becomes less hectic over the coming weeks/months/years since it is also supposed to be a place of study/learning. The classroom portion of the cafe does have doors so you are able to close that part of the cafe off from the main lobby/ordering area. Upstairs are the bathrooms and more tables/chairs as well as balcony access.

Anyway below is my video! Thanks to all that have watched it already!

~

No comments:

Post a Comment