Tuesday, July 15, 2014

My Korean Life #8: Two months in...

Greetings everyone,
I am two months into my life here in Korea and thought I'd give you an update. It has been awhile due to written midterms and preparing for my midterm interview. These exams were quite challenging and I have received 3 out of 4 grades. Could I have prepared and studied even more? Perhaps.

This style of language education relies on a lot of application of what you learn. We have to create dialogues or tell stories, analyze sentences for grammar or vocabulary mistakes, and be able to identify antonyms/synonyms. The expectation is very high and the pace is fast and intensive. I believe most language programs here expect you to spend considerable amounts of time outside the classroom practicing writing, applying grammar, and speaking. While I'm at a university that emphasizes speaking over all other skills, the writing/reading/listening expectations are just as high. Besides the demands of school, there is my blooming social life (ㅋㅋㅋ).

The summer brings many visitors to Korea and a lot of my friends are stopping by this year. Unfortunately, the constant tug of my social life here in Korea may be somewhat impacting my studies. That and having been away from a classroom setting for a year (and a true academic setting for almost 5 years). I think I have to re-tune my brain to study and making that studying worthwhile...not just completing assignments for the sake of completing them but really making sure I understand concepts. Many times just rote repetition and exposure helps memorization...but I want to do more than just memorize vocabulary. I want to say I learned these grammar concepts and can use the vocabulary in everyday life.

If you have any tips for learning a language let me know! I'd like to say I'm already immersed in the language and culture but maybe I can put even more effort into that department.

Until next time~!

P.S. I should have more time to blog after this week as my midterm interview will be complete!
~

No comments:

Post a Comment