Monday, July 28, 2014

My Korean Life #10: Summer Break

During the summer term Sogang University builds in a week long summer break (여름 방학). As far as I know, not all language programs schedule such a break for their Korean language students. Sogang's program also starts a little earlier than other schools and this may be the reason why. So you may be asking, "Nathan, you have a week off from class, what are your plans?" Frankly I don't have any major plans during my summer break. I'd like to spend time with friends and do some general review of my class materials.

While I haven't always been into computer based learning tools my classmate referred me to Quizlet. I've been making vocabulary sets using this tool to easily review on the go. I am on public transportation for sometimes several hours of the day so this gives me something constructive to do during that time. I already made analogue flashcards (pen-and-paper) for all the vocabulary for level two but I figure making them in digital form will also help me with the spelling and memorization.

In terms of meeting with friends, I'm still fleshing that out at the moment. Since I do have quite a lot of time on my hands I'd like to meet up with as many friends as possible. It seems many of my expat and Korean friends keep quite busy in general though. I would like to say that meeting with friends in Seoul has been easier to arrange than probably any place I have lived in the USA (save for when I lived on campus during university).

You don't have to worry about driving somewhere or parking. Actually getting to your destination is for the most part passive. In Seoul, you can get to almost anywhere by bus or subway very reasonably. This is in contrast to a lot of places in the USA where you have to actively drive, spend money on fuel, find parking, etc. Here in Seoul, I don't really worry about traffic anymore...unless it's raining and have to take a bus (traffic then gets very bad). In the USA I would always check traffic before leaving my house and would be frustrated if Google Maps ever showed a sliver of red on my route. Also, at least two popular mapping services in Korea offer live timing for public transportation routing (at least I think it is live, correct me if I'm wrong).

If I get up to anything new/fun/exciting I'll let you know!

~

No comments:

Post a Comment