Saturday, July 18, 2015

My Korean Life #29: Part 5 - Immigration

Part 5: Immigration

For foreigners in Korea, you are supposed to report address changes to the government within 14 days of moving. If you don't, you can be subject to heavy fines. I have moved twice within Korea and both times I visited the southern Seoul immigration office to change my address. For this move, it could not have gone any smoother. If you are a foreigner and non-Chinese then you go to the 3rd floor for most of the Gu's in Seoul. There is signage and information online to determine where you should go.

I visited immigration in the early afternoon with a signed copy of my lease, my passport, and my alien registration card. I filled out the change of address form at immigration and took a number. It just so happened there was no one waiting in front of me so I went straight to the window.

The lady looked at my passport for a quick second, then handed it back to me. Then she took a glance at my lease and then at my alien registration card and form. After a few key strokes on her computer she made a photocopy of my lease and alien registration card and then told me to wait a few moments.

After only like five minutes, the lady came back with my card. I actually had filled the two printable areas on my card previously so they literally wrote my new address in permanent marker along the long edge of my card. They applied some clear tape over the writing to make sure it doesn't rub off.

I was in and out in like...30 minutes...if that.

I'm now all moved in and have officially changed my address! I'm thoroughly enjoying my new home and the owner is really nice!

~

No comments:

Post a Comment