Tuesday, May 27, 2014

My Korean Life #3: Real Korean Life Help - UPS Notification

Within this blog series I want to give some real world, everyday advice to folks that may live here in Korea. While I don't admit to knowing everything about Seoul or Korea for that matter, I rarely see highly publicized blogs/videos regarding actual life in Korea (that is the day-to-day logistics of living). The information is out there but it takes quite a bit more searching. Anyway...

So you may get a UPS package from someone...but then you get a sticker like this on your door:



Uh-oh...that's a lot of Korean...and that's a lot of handwriting you're not used to reading...and now they want you to call a number and find out where your package is...

If you don't read Korean well or if you're in short supply of someone who reads/speaks Korean...I would not panic. At the building I live in, the guard station also acts as an auxiliary mail room. Any packages that are not delivered direct to the apartment units are dropped at the guard room. If you live in a similar building, chances are UPS dropped your package there if you were not at home to receive it. 

If for some reason UPS held your package (say they need your signature confirmation, etc.) chances are you will have to take the plunge and call the number left on the sticker notification. Luckily, I was able to consult a friend who knows Korean a lot better than myself and they called the number to double check the package had been left with the guard station. As I continue to learn Korean over the next year or so, I hope to update this post with what you could say to the UPS contact left on the sticker so you would know if it was left at your building or at a distribution center for pick up. I can tell you "경비실" is guardroom.

Honestly, I didn't really even notice the sticker when it was first left on my door since I wasn't expecting any packages...also, I wasn't familiar with a lot of Korean they used on the sticker itself. If you have any tricks or tips in regards to this in Korea, please leave a comment below!

~

No comments:

Post a Comment