Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Hilton Garden Inn South Bend

Unfortunately, this most recent trip of mine was a whirlwind so I didn't get a chance to snap any decent pictures (or video for that matter) of the hotel room. As you may (or may not) know by now, I'm fairly loyal to Marriott brands but a) this was a block of hotel rooms for a friend's wedding and b) the hotel was attached to the reception venue.

I haven't really experienced many Hilton Garden Inns but this one was quite nice. The lobby and restaurant area were well lit with lots of natural light in front. The check-in counter was easy to locate and the elevators were about where you expected them to be (I walked right in and took a wild guess).
The breakfast available was decently priced ($9.99) and included a hot station where you could get made-to-order eggs, pancakes, or french toast. There were other hot items available as well as yogurt, cereal, breads, etc.

My friends and I were sharing a Queen room (2 Queen beds, desk, microwave, mini-fridge). It was nicely appointed, I liked the comforter. I do, however, have a couple of gripes about the room. Yes it was clean, the AC worked great, nice to have the fridge and microwave...BUT...you would think they would have fitted sheets that actually fit the mattresses. Both beds had fitted sheets that barely fit...in fact, in the middle of the night the one on my bed just pulled off. The whole corner of the mattress was exposed. One other little complaint was that the bathtub did not drain very quickly. It could not keep up with the shower head (which was great by the way).

I had a horribly early fight the day I left so I had the front desk arrange a taxi. This was all fine, the taxi was there on time but they had arranged for me and some other random guest to share without asking either of us...I was alright with this but I wish they had asked me before hand. It saved me about $10 but still...it was a weird ride to the airport.

Overall, my small gripes with the hotel wouldn't prevent me from trying it or another Hilton Garden Inn again. I guess I should be explicit in that I want my own taxi next time? Oh, and sheets that fit...

~


No comments:

Post a Comment